Material and durability
Mohair is considered the name of the hair of the Angora goat. This natural fiber is the specific lightest fiber. Unsurpassed properties for climbing skins 100% mohair climbing skins guarantee the best gliding and climbing properties Mohair- mix offers longer life, as synthetic fibers are more abrasion resistant.
For high-quality climbing skins, a service life of 60 to 100 tours can be assumed. However, there are also experiences with well over 100 tours. The life span is also dependent on the snow condition (powder snow, hard snow, ice, firn, etc.) the length of the tours, the weight of the tour skier and the care of the skins. Used climbing skins can be disposed of with household waste.
Care of the climbing skins before the ski tour
Optimal care of the climbing skins before the ski tour:
- As soon as the adhesion of the adhesive layer decreases, for example, due to extreme cold - or pollution or before long, multi-day ski tours - we recommend renewing the adhesive layer.
- The climbing skins should not be mounted on surfaces with wax residues, as this reduces the adhesive strength of the adhesive layer.
- Pull off wax residues imperatively with an acrylic blade.
- For waxing your touring skis use the MONTANA impregnating wax. Never a wax with fluorine, silicone or similar additives.
Care of the climbing skins during the ski tour
Optimal care of the climbing skins during the ski tour:
- When mounting the climbing skins, make sure that the ski base is dry and free of snow crystals. Brush and press the climbing skin well against the base from the tip of the ski. In repeated mounting, warm the climbing skins beforehand on the body.
- In extreme temperature fluctuations and when changing from wet to dry snow, stud formation can occur. Prevent this by using impregnation wax on the pile side.
- The SKINNY protective stocking guarantees easy handling when putting on and taking off the climbing skin. It applies in particular to external influences such as strong winds.
Care and storage after the ski tour
Optimal care and storage of climbing skins after the ski tour:
- Wet climbing skins must not be stored in the skin bag for a long time.
- After the ski tour, you should let your climbing skins dry well in the air hung at room temperature. Then apply the skinny or protective film and store them in the skin bag. De adhesive layer of the climbing skins remains therein protected from dirt, drying and UV radiation.
- To prevent the formation of studs use GLIDE PLUS before the next ski tour, this is an aqueous solution and can freeze at low temperatures. That is why you should apply GLIDE PLUS only at home on the dry climbing skins and never on the ski tour.
MONTANA climbing skin care before ski touring
For optimal preparation of touring skis, we recommend removing excess wax and cleaning the base with wax remover.
MONTANA climbing skin care after the ski tour
Store only dry ski skins in the MONTANA skin bag. Wet or damp ski skins after the ski tour in each case let dry in the air and then store in the skin bag.
Climbing skin accessories for before, during and after the ski tour.